The contractor won’t stop sweating until the project is complete and he has handed it over to the client. There are several post-construction activities that the building contractor has to look after. The final step in any construction project is to inspect the site thoroughly to make sure everything is clean, neat, orderly, and tidy.
This step includes the preparation of a snag list and ensuring that all loose ends are connected, the damage is repaired, and the property complies with the standard. One way to ensure that all this is done is to create and use a custom post-construction cleaning checklist.
What is Post Construction Cleaning Checklist?
The post-construction cleaning takes place in phases. But this post-construction cleaning checklist provides a detailed list of what to clean in each room. This helps workers walk through all the rooms and identify any cleaning work that needs to be completed before considering the completion of the project.
⇒ Entrance and Exits
All doors in the building must be inspected and cleaned. These areas are the first thing the new owner notices when they arrive.
- External dust lighting
- Clean windows
- Make sure all lights work
- Clean doors, door frames, doorknobs
- Clean driveways
⇒ Living/Common Areas
Living rooms and common areas should be clean, well-lit, and free of debris. You should remove all evidence of construction work from that area.
- Floors are swept and vacuumed
- All lights working and dust-free
- Doorknobs and light switches
- Clean window sills, and window tracks
- No evidence of paint drops on the floors
- The door frames are on
Kitchens can have complex spaces, filled with small dense spaces, which are often overlooked. Post-construction cleaning checklist also considers them and the project ensures that the kitchen area is completely clean.
- Dust inside all the shelves, drawers, cabinets, and counters
- Clean the insides of the shelves, cabinets, and drawers
- Sweep and vacuum/mop floors, windows, window seals, and window tracks
- Clean the sinks
- Wipe down all the fixtures
They are usually one of the smaller rooms of the house, but by the end of the construction project, the bathroom should be clean and in good working order.
- Clean the sink, tub, shower, toilet
- Mirrors, cabinets, and counters are wiped clean
- Floors are swept and vacuumed
- Inside cabinets and drawers are cleaned
- Windows, baseboards, light fixtures, doorknobs, and door frames are cleaned
- Remove all the trash
For sampling and completing the bedroom, the area is essential to remove litter, dust the lamps, and ensure the floor, walls, and windows are clean. Some other things to consider when inspecting a bedroom area are:
- Cleaning inside closets
- Dusting light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Wiping down baseboards
- Dusting built-in shelves
- Dusting grates and vents
- Removing paint from hinges
⇒ Laundry Room
Laundry rooms most of the time work as storage rooms during the construction phase. So, before the client’s handover, you need to clean out the area and make it look habitable.
- Remove all the construction trash
- Clean the entire room
- Wipe down all the shelves, cabinets, and storage counters.
- Clean the lighting fixtures, faucets, and door and cabinet handles
- Check the drainage pipe and clean it
⇒ Garage & Storage Spaces
Most construction equipment, gears, and other material are stored in garages and storage spaces to keep them safe from any damage. Hence, you need to clean the space before the owners arrive.
- Clear out the entire space
- Clean the floor
- Arrange everything back in order
- Wipe down all the utilities in the room
⇒ Outdoor Spaces/ Landscaping
The final step on your post-construction cleaning checklist should include a thorough analysis of the appearance of the property. This means checking to ensure that all packaging, tape, plastics, and other structural features are removed from the site and disposed of properly.
- Remove all debris from the room.
- Cleaning walkways
- Sweeping deck and patio
- Wiping garage doors and mailboxes
BY: Atlantic Cleaning
Post Construction Cleaning